Mount Washington State Park
|Route 16 and Route 302
|Mount Washington State Park, a 60.3-acre parcel perched on the summit of the Northeast's highest peak, is surrounded by the extensive 750,000-acre White Mountain National Forest. On a clear day, views from the 6,288-foot summit extend beyond New Hampshire as far as 130 miles to Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Maine, Quebec, and the Atlantic Ocean.
The Sherman Adams building, a modern summit building, houses The Sherman Adams Visitor Center, a cafeteria, restrooms, gift shops, the Mount Washington Observatory and its museum. The historic TipTop House is located adjacent to the summit building.
Call ahead at 603-466-3347 for the latest summit conditions. Check the Auto Road (603-466-2222) and Cog Railway (603-278-5404) websites for information on their operating schedules.
Mt. Washington State Park, Sherman Adams Summit Building, is open daily and operating hours areas follows:
- May 18 to September 2 - 8:30 am to 6 pm
- September 3 to September 16 - 8:30 am to 5:30 pm
- September 17 to September 30 - 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
- October 1 to October 21 - 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
The Cafeteria and Gift shop is open daily, operating hours are as follows:
- May 18 to June 7 - 10:00 am to 4 pm
- June 8 to June 21 - 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
- June 22 to September 3 - 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
- September 4 to October 21 - 10:00 am to 4 pm
Tip Top House Historic Site is open daily at 10 am to 4 pm from May 25 to October 14. It is closed on days with rain and high winds.
*Operating dates and times are subject to change without notice. For up to date hours, please call the park directly.
If you hike up, you must be prepared and capable to hike down, as there are no overnight accommodations.
For the most current weather conditions above tree-line refer to the higher summits forecast from the Mount Washington Observatory
and for overall planning of hiking trips into the White Mountains refer to Hike Safe
for information and advice with helpful links to public and private agencies. Should an emergency arise during your visit, please call 911 for assistance.
This park is always open for recreation. During off hours and the off-season the park is typically not staffed, comfort stations are not available and gates may be closed. The off-season poses unique risks inherent when participating in outdoor recreational activities. Please be aware that many State Park areas and trails are not staffed during the off-season, and day-use fees are not collected. Recreationists should possess the necessary knowledge, skill, and equipment to ensure their own safety. Users assume all risk while recreating in State Park lands.
Are pets allowed at Mount Washington State Park?
Pets are permitted in the designated areas only:
See the NH State Parks Pets Policy for more information.
- Pets are not to be tied to entry area into Sherman Adams Building Visitor Center. In case of severe weather contact park ranger at information desk for directions to a sheltered area.
- Pets are not allowed in concession and dining room areas
- Pets are to be leashed and attended to at all times; owners are responsible for their pets' actions.
- The Cog Railway has a strict 'no pets on trains' policy. Mt Washington Auto Road's Hiker Shuttle will transport pets at drivers discretion, if allowed the per person rate may be applied.
- Pet owners need to carry proof of current rabies vaccination.
Keep Your Parks Clean
Through the Carry-In/Carry-Out Program, you can help us keep your parks clean and beautiful by carrying out whatever you carry in. Thank you for your cooperation and remember to recycle.
Mount Washington State Park Manager, Mike Pelchat's blog
Mount Washington State Park Aerial Photos
Mount Washington State Park History
About its Weather
Mount Washington Ecology
Tip Top House Information
Mount Washington Observatory
Mount Washington State Park Employee, Guy Jubinville featured in Coos County Democrat (January 25, 2012)
New Hampshire State Parks blog - Hiking to Mt Washington State Park in Winter
Access for Persons with Disabilities
Please contact the park office directly for information regarding disability access needs.