Franconia Notch Hiker Shuttle
Hiker parking in Franconia Notch State Park can be challenging. We want you to be safe in our state. So please remember the following:
There is limited hiker parking within Franconia Notch. Most parking is specifically for visitors to the attractions in the park, so the park is now offering a shuttle service (see details below) when the below lots get filled. Download the Franconia Notch Hiking Map for your planned hike.
Liberty Springs (Rte 3, North of Flume): 50 spots. This is a primary hiker parking lot with access to Cascade Brook, Liberty Springs, Pemi Trail and Flume Slide Trail.
The Basin (I93-N): 48 spots. This lot is for visitors to the Basin (parking for hikers may be limited in the future). It provides access to the Basin Cascade Trail, Cascade Brook and Pemi Trail.
Old Bridle Path (I93-N): 133 spots. This a primary hiker parking lot provides access to Lonesome Lake, Pemi Trail, Old Bridle Path, Falling Waters, and Hi Cannon to Kinsman.
Peabody Slope (I93 Exit 34C) 400+ spots. This is a gravel lot on right side of Rte 18 at ski area entrance beyond Echo Beach. It is a primary hiker parking lot with access to Bald Mountain and Artists Bluff.
Cannon Aerial Tramway (I93-S): 80+ spots. Hiker parking is limited to the gravel lot to left of paved lots by the old ski jumps. This lot provides access to Kinsman Ridge, Greenleaf and Pemi Trail.
Old Man Museum (Upper Lot off of I93-S) 53 spots. This lot provides parking for Old Man Museum and Historic Site (hiker parking may be limited in the future). It provides access to Kinsman Ridge, Greenleaf and Pemi Trail.
Lafayette Place (I93-S): 22 spots. This lot has limited hiker parking outside the campground. Parking inside the campground is permitted for campers only. The lot provides access to Lonesome Lake, Pemi Trail, Old Bridal Path, Falling Waters and Hi Cannon to Kinsman.
Lonesome Lake (I93-S, Lafayette Place Exit): 41 spots. This is a primary hiker parking lot for Lonesome Lake Trail.
The Basin (I93-S): 52 spots. This lot is for visitors to the Basin (parking for hikers may be limited in the future). It provides access to the Basin Cascade Trail to Cascade Brook and Pemi Trail.
All information is subject to
The main parking areas at our four primary venues are reserved for paying guests at those venues;
- Flume Gorge / Lafayette Place CG / Aerial Tramway / Echo Lake Beach
New! Franconia Notch State Park Shuttle Service
Hikers accessing the wildly popular trailheads adjacent to Lafayette Campground
- Northbound side; Falling Waters / Old Bridle Path, etc.
- Southbound side; Lonesome Lake / Dodge Cutoff / Pemi Trail, etc.
The 2018 FNSP Hiker Shuttle is a paid shuttle (pilot program) to offer rides to those who’d otherwise (illegally and unsafely) be parking on Interstate 93 / Franconia Notch Parkway and walking along the highway to access hiking routes. We will be utilizing two 11-passenger Ford Transit 350 XLT vans.
Shuttle cost is $5 round-trip per person, regardless of age. Cash-only when paying driver directly, credit card options at Echo Lake Beach (8:30 AM – 5:00 PM) and Lafayette Campground (8:00 AM – 8:00 PM).
Friday through Monday starting August 3rd, service ends on Sunday, October 14th.
- One van on Fridays and Mondays from 8:30 AM – 8:00 PM
- Two vans on Saturdays and Sundays from 8:30 AM – 8:00 PM
- Shuttle operates rain or shine
- Hikers are STRONGLY urged not to miss the last northbound shuttle at 8:00 PM
Southbound starting point
is at “Peabody Big Lot” at Cannon Mountain
(Exit 34-C, it’s the gravel parking lot directly across the road from the base lodge)
- The only southbound “drop-off point” is at Lafayette Campground… and hikers may access all applicable trailheads there. (Note: there is a pedestrian pathway under the highway between Lafayette Campground and Falling Water / Old Bridle Path trailhead)
Northbound starting point is at Falling Waters / Old Bridle Path trailhead
(Across the highway from Lafayette Campground)
- The only northbound “drop-off point” is the ending point at “Peabody Big Lot”
The 2018 FNSP Hiker Shuttle offers an alternative to illegally and unsafely parking on Interstate 93 / Franconia Notch Parkway and walking along the highway to access hiking routes.
- Park at Peabody Big Lot at Exit 34-C;
- Pay driver $5 per person in cash, or use credit card at Echo Lake Beach;
- Southbound drop-off is at Lafayette Campground;
- Save your ticket for return trip and enjoy your hike!;
- Meet shuttle at Falling Waters trailhead before 8pm for return trip to Peabody Big Lot;
- Hand driver ticket (or $5 in cash), or use credit card at Lafayette Campground
- FNSP Hiker Shuttle is operated by NH State Parks / Franconia Notch State Park / Cannon Mountain Ski Area;
Shuttles may not be called directly for service. General Inquiries 603-823-8800 (8 AM – 4 PM) or 603-823-9513 (4 – 8 PM);
Tickets were pre-printed as Fri – Sun each week, but service is planned for Mondays through Oct 8th;
Well-mannered dogs will be allowed on the shuttle initially… problem dogs and their owners will not be allowed on the shuttle.