Hiking is one of the most popular recreational pursuits in New Hampshire, and it's no secret as to why.
The trails in New Hampshire's State Parks, Forests and on Recreational Rail Trails offer unsurpassed beauty, challenging terrain, and an experience to last a lifetime - whether on a short stroll with your family or climbing the tallest mountain in New Hampshire.
Volunteer clubs and organizations work very hard to maintain some of our 4,000+ miles of hiking trails in the state, however many are in need of adoption for maintenance.
Links to Hiking Organizations and Clubs
Please remember when on the trails to Tread Lightly! by staying on designated trails. NH State Parks are Carry In / Carry Out locations. Please take your trash and leave no trace. Through the Carry-In/Carry-Out Program,you can help us keep your parks clean and beautiful by carrying out whatever you carry in. Thank you for your cooperation and remember to recycle.
Things to Remember
When planning a hike be prepared, Hike Safe.
Also, be respectful and courteous towards your fellow adventurers by following the Bureau of Trails' Trail Etiquette.
Lyme Disease is the most commonly reported vector-borne illness in the U.S. Don't let ticks hinder your woodsy explorations: Follow these Trail/Outdoor Tips by the Bureau of Trails.
Please note: If you are planning on hiking in the fall, remember, hunting season has begun, so include orange in your attire.
Additional Hiking Resources
Below is a list of resources on the subject of hiking in New Hampshire. Most are readily available through your favorite bookstore or sporting goods store, some are available on the Web.
While there are many other resources, these are ones we often use in the Trails Bureau office. If you find a resource you find particularly useful, please let us know!
- Appalachian Mountain Club’s "AMC White Mountain Guide, 28th Edition" (ISBN 978-1-929173-32-1) - Detailed trail descriptions and other helpful information; detailed GPS maps included
- Appalachian Mountain Club's "AMC Southern New Hampshire Trail Guide," 3rd Edition (ISBN 978-1-934028-23-0)- Detailed GPS maps included, including Monadnock, Cardigan, Pillsbury State Parks
- Appalachian Mountain Club's "AMC's Best Day Hikes in the White Mountains" (ISBN 978-1-929173-88-4)
- Dan Doan's "50 Hikes in the White Mountains" 4th Ed (ISBN 088150162X) and "50 more Hikes in New Hampshire" 4th Ed. (ISBN 0881504076)
- Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway Trail Club's "Monadnock - Sunapee Greenway Trail Guide" - Detailed GPS map included