Skip to main content

Special Use Permits

How do I know if I need a Special Use Permit? 

New Hampshire State Parks are a unique location to hold your special event such as corporate and community outings, family reunions, weddings and youth group adventures.
Anyone wanting to plan an event at a State Park should contact that park directly and organize with the park manager to ensure the date and space is available, as well as to discuss pricing.  A Special Use Permit may also be required for events.

Please take our short questionnaire, and it will guide you throught the process:

Qualification Survey Please read the information below. 

Contact the Special Use Office at 603-271-3556 or if you need more information.

Information for Events

General Information

  1. Permit is not valid until fees (as listed on the invoice) and certificate of insurance are received.
  2. The use of the area/facility is limited to the date(s) and times authorized in the permit.
  3. The Permittee understands that NH State Parks may suspend or terminate the permit if continuance of the permit would create a dangerous condition or pose a threat to the health, safety, or welfare of the Permittee or the public in general.
  4. The Permittee is subject to all conditions and requirements as listed in the permit.
  5. The Permittee may only use the facility or area as identified in the permit. Any questions or concerns shall be resolved with the Regional Supervisor and/or the Park Manager.
  6. Areas or facilities used by the Permittee should be left in a condition equal to that existing on arrival. Permittee is responsible for all clean-up work and for the disposing of all litter the Permittee generates (unless otherwise indicated in the permit). NH State Parks are carry-in/carry-out.


  1. All permits require submission of permit application and the administrative fee of $100. 
    • If the application is submitted less than 30 days prior to the event, an additional expedite fee of $100 will be required.
    • These fees may be paid via check or with credit card payment over the phone.
      1. Checks must be made payable to Treasurer, State of New Hampshire and mailed to the address on the payment voucher.
      2. Credit card payments may be made by calling 603-271-3556.
  2. All day-use fees or parking fees shall be required as listed in the permit.
  3. Additional fees such as but not limited to pavilion, impact, and event fees will be determined on a case-by-case basis.


  1. Refunds are considered on a case-by-case basis. Refunds will not be issued due to inclement weather.
  2. Refund requests must be submitted in writing and e-mailed to or mailed to:  The Special Use office, 172 Pembroke Road, Concord, NH 03301.


  1. Any tent 400 sq. ft. (20’ x 20’) or larger require additional permitting through the NH State Fire Marshal’s office.


  1. When having alcohol at your event, you must contact the NH State Liquor Commission at (603)271-3521 to determine any additional permitting requirements through them.
  2. Must provide proof of host liquor liability insurance above and beyond the standard insurance requirement and as listed in the insurance information under “Certificate of Liability Insurance”.

What You Need When Applying for a Permit

  1. Create an account at the online application portal.
  2. Event information including set-up date/time, event date/time, break-down date/time
  3. Maps indicating the layout of the event on all State properties being utilized
  4. For road/trails races: must include your route maps or trails you intend to access during the event.
  5. Permit administrative fee and expedite fee (if required) shall be paid via check or over the phone by calling 603-271-3556.

Certificate of Liability Insurance (COI)

  1. All events require a valid certificate of liability insurance (COI) with the following amounts:
    1. Standard permit:  a) One Million Dollars ($1,000,000) per occurrence: b) Two Million Dollars ($2,000,000) in the aggregate; and c) One Hundred Thousand Dollars ($100,000) for damage to rented premises.
    2. All events that will have alcohol shall require the following coverage:  a) Two Million Dollars ($2,000,000) per occurrence: b) Four Million Dollars ($4,000,000) in the aggregate; and c) One Hundred Thousand Dollars ($100,000) for damage to rented premises. Additionally, Host Liquor Liability insurance must be indicated.
    3. All events with items that may have a higher risk of liability, such as but not limited to bouncy houses, dunk tanks, inflatable slides, etc. shall require the following coverage: a) Two Million Dollars ($2,000,000) per occurrence: b) Four Million Dollars ($4,000,000) in the aggregate; and c) One Hundred Thousand Dollars ($100,000) for damage to rented premises.
    4. The State must be listed as Certificate Holder and additional insured on all certificates.  The Certificate Holder shall be listed as follows:  State of New Hampshire, Department of Natural and Cultural Resources, Division of Parks and Recreation, 172 Pembroke Road, Concord, NH 03301.

Next Steps After Submitting Application

  1. NH State Parks will review your online application and will contact you with any questions or concerns including but not limited to dates/times, locations within the park, etc.
  2. If there are additional fees, NH State Parks will contact you to inform you of them.
  3. Once the permit is drafted and has been through the internal review process, NH State Parks will send you the permit for signature via email. 
  4. You will return the signed permit via email to
  5. Your permit will be submitted to the Director or authorized designee for review and final approval. NOTE: Your permit is not fully executed until you return it and it is reviewed by the Director or authorized designee.
  6. A fully executed permit will be returned to you upon receipt of approval from the Director or authorized designee.

Seal of the State of New Hampshire © NH Department of Natural and Cultural Resources
172 Pembroke Road Concord, NH 03301