SCA NH Corps Park Improvement Projects
August 10, 2015The interns from SCA NH Corps are hard at work this summer improving our New Hampshire State Parks! Projects this year include; painting, campsite improvements, trail work, invasive plant removal, vista clearing and painting. Crews will be in the field until October so if you see them - thank them for all the hard work they are doing to improve our parks. Here’s a list of some of the parks and projects they have or will be working on:
- Spring cleanup – Clough, Silver Lake, Bear Brook, Kingston, White Lake, Ellacoya State Parks.
- Construction of camping shelters at Greenfield, Crawford Notch and Milan Hill State Parks.
- Constructed and install park kiosks at Cathedral Ledge State Park and Livermore Falls State Forest.
- Painting various buildings; Jenness, Bear Brook, Greenfield State Parks.
- Vegetation removal at Miller and Weeks State Parks and Nansen Wayside.
August 8, 2014The interns from SCA NH Corps are hard at work again this summer improving our New Hampshire State Parks! Projects this year include; painting, campsite improvements, trail work, brush clearing and painting. Crews will be in the field until October so if you see them - thank them for all the hard work they are doing to improve our parks. Here’s a list of some of the parks and projects they have or will be working on:
- Moose Brook: Construct footbridge across Perkins Brook and construction of camping shelter
- Mollidgewock: Construct tent platforms and camping shelter
- Greenfield: Work skills training site; painted park store, built footbridge over wet area, removal of risk trees
- Crawford Notch: Trail work on the Frankenstein Cliff Trail
- Jericho Mountain: Vegetation removal on septic field
- Weeks: View clearing
- Livermore Falls State Forest: Vegetation removal around historic ruins
- Kingston: Vegetation removal on septic field
- Milan Hill: Paint Park office & garage, constructed tent platforms
- Rye Harbor: Paint exterior Rye Harbor Cottage
2013 SCA NH Corps Improvement ProjectsSCA NH Corps are working statewide on a wide variety of Park Improvement Projects. Here’s a list of some of the parks and projects they worked on:
- Lake Francis State Park – replace stone staircase
- Dixville Notch State Park – construct footbridge across brook and stain park fence and signs
- Wellington State Park – paint park administrative office
- Hampton Beach State Park, North Beach – paint bathhouse
- Fort Constitution State Historic Site – brush and chip over growth in cellar holes
- Monadnock State Park – paint various buildings
- Pawtuckaway State Park – paint various buildings
2012 SCA NH Corps Improvement Projects
During the summer the SCA NH Corps and the Division of Parks and Recreation partnered on a statewide Park Improvement Project that included painting of park buildings, picnic table repair and fire ring replacement. The crew accomplished the following:
- Stained 42 buildings (plus smaller structures ie. railings, fences, gates)
- Installed 131 fire rings
- Repaired/painted 242 picnic tables and 20 benches
- Felled and/or removed 42 risks trees and blow downs
- Built 2 stone staircases (9 steps total), 8 feet of new trail, 1 dam cover, 1 tent platform
- Installed 160 feet of fencing
About the Student Conservation Association New Hampshire Corps
The Student Conservation Association (SCA) helps tomorrow's conservation leaders take action for the planet by providing young adults, from high school students to college graduates, with hands-on conservation experiences in all 50 states. SCA New Hampshire Corps serves the communities and lands of New Hampshire through environmental education programs, interpretive ranger programs and conservation projects across the state. New Hampshire Corps members are 18 to 25 years old and dedicate 10 months of service in partnership with AmeriCorps. SCA is a nonprofit organization headquartered in Washington, DC with offices in Charlestown, NH, Chicago, IL, Oakland, CA, Pittsburgh, PA, and Seattle, WA. For more information on SCA NH Corps visit www.thesca.org/nh