New Hampshire Parks & Recreation
State Park Beaches Posted read more
Facebook Twitter YouTube Blog Parking Reservations E-Updates
ExploreExperienceWhat's HappeningGet InvolvedWho We AreDividerPartner & Community Resources
  • Partner & Community Resources
  • Partner & Community Resources
  • Partner & Community Resources

Recreational Trails Program


Limited grants are available for motorized, non-motorized and diversified trails. Eligible projects include maintenance and restoration of existing trails, purchase and lease of trail construction and maintenance equipment, construction of new trails, development and rehabilitation of trailside and trailhead facilities, trail linkages, and acquisition of easements or property for trails.  Applicants may be non-profit organizations, private groups or government entities. The Bureau of Trails is anticipating the publication of 2016 Recreational Trails Program details in September 2015.

About the Recreational Trails Program

The Recreational Trails Program (RTP) is a competitive grant program that offers funding for quality public trail projects throughout New Hampshire. The program is administered by the New Hampshire Department of Resources and Economic Development (DRED), Division of Parks and Recreation, Bureau of Trails. Funding for the program itself is generated from federal gas tax dollars paid on fuel purchases for off highway recreational vehicles and snowmobiles.  These funds are appropriated to the states by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) as authorized through Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century (MAP-21).  For more information, check out the FHWA Recreational Trails Program website.

Forms, Guidelines and Links

RTP Reimbursement Process 
RTP Annual Equipment Report Form
RTP Billing Form 
RTP Match Form 
RTP Volunteer Match Labor Form 
RTP Progress Report Form 
RTP Project Administrator's Authorization 
NH Dept of Environmental Services, Wetlands Bureau
NH Natural Heritage Review
Best Management Practices for Erosion Control Manual 
Landowner Project Permission Form 
How to Request a Certificate of Good Standing

Additional Information

For more information about the Recreational Trails Program contact:

Katrina Hummel (
Bureau of Trails
172 Pembroke Road
Concord, NH 03301
phone: (603) 271-3254 x122
fax: (603) 271-3553